Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2002

[sharechat] MET

From: Phaedrus <Phaedrus@techemail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 14:32:23 -0800 (PST)

Barry,
       You may be interested in a technical perspective of Metropolitan Life.
MET has just broken through a previous resistance level of $1.35. This is
especially significant, because it marks the start of a new medium-term uptrend
(a higher high, after a higher low). MET is also in a short-term uptrend, and
above its 200 day moving average, which is rising. All very positive.

 A 200 day moving average is the indicator most commomly used by long-term
investors. Generally, they would buy when prices climbed above the moving
average, and sell when prices fell below it. Some prefer to buy when the ma
itself starts to rise, selling when it begins to fall. Moving averages, like
any trend indicator, only work well when a stock is trending up or down.
Without a trend, they give a string of conflicting, unprofitable signals.

 MET gave me the best long-term trade I have ever had on the NZ market. I
bought on 22/2/96 at 36 cents, and sold about two and a half years later on
21/9/98 at $2.40. I bought on the basis of a new confirmed uptrend and a moving
average crossover, and sold on the basis of a trendline break and a moving
average crossover. I have not gone near MET over the last three years or more
because it was in a medium-term downtrend.
                          Phaedrus.