Re: Re: [sharechat] Cullen to Introduce Wealth Tax - Confirmed

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 23:14:04 +0000

Hi DR,

>1. For equality any tax on wealth -usually capital gains in other
>countries is only levied on sale of the asset. To maintain equality,
>that has to be true in NZ as well.

I am sorry to inform you that the proposal is to tax assets (in
particular listed shares and bonds) as they are held *not* when they
are sold.  As such I believe that all of my criticisims of such a
scheme remain valid.

The most unpopular aspect of this tax (the idea of taxing own your
own homes) has been discarded.  However, it is very clear that Cullen
proposes to tax shares based on their market value on some arbitrary
balance date.   I believe the Netherlands already has such a system
in place.  So it has been done in Zealand.  And it will now be done
in New Zealand too. SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Q: If you call a dog tail a leg, how many legs does a dog have?"
"A: Four.  Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."