[sharechat] New sharemarket index launched

From: "Ben Dutton" <bendutton@sharechat.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 11:44:30 +1100

Dear SC investor,

Iguana2 (the company that owns ShareChat) and Unlimited magazine have teamed
up to develop a new sharemarket index called the "Unlimited-Iguana2 Index"
or "UI" for short.  Below is a press release announcing the launch of the
new index.  You can track and learn more about the UI concept by clicking
here:

http://www.sharechat.co.nz/markets/ui.php

Also have a read of the article that appeared in Unlimited magazine about
the UI:

http://www.sharechat.co.nz/features/unlimited/article.php/e65e634d

Best Regards

Ben Dutton
ShareChat Publisher

Press release

1st February 2002

New index picks best on NZSE
The UI Index tracks market "winners"

A new stock market index is set to track the best companies on the New
Zealand Stock Exchange.

The Unlimited-Iguana2 Index (UI Index) will track daily share price changes
of 11 companies, chosen by a team of experts from Unlimited magazine and
stockmarket data firm Iguana2.

"The sports and arts communities have their awards for excellence. We wanted
to do the same for the listed business sector," says Ben Dutton, Iguana2
executive and co-founder of the UI Index.

The index is made of companies on the NZSE, chosen according to the quality
of their business - not just on share performance. Daily updates of the
index will appear on the Unlimited web site (unlimited.co.nz/investor) and
the Iguana2 owned investor information website ShareChat (sharechat.co.nz).

"The index is not a list of the biggest, most traded nor most capitalised.
Nor is it a measure of how well the share price is performing. It's based on
the quality of the companies," says Vincent Heeringa, publisher of Unlimited
magazine and co-founder of the index.

"We want to create a guide for investors looking at future growth, not past
performance," Heeringa says.

Who made the cut
The 11 companies chosen for the first six months (the list is reviewed twice
a year):

Cadmus Technology, Fisher&Paykel Whiteware, Fisher&Paykel Healthcare, Frucor
(since taken over - it will be removed from the index at the next review
period), Genesis R&D, Scott Technology, Software of Excellence, Telecom, The
Warehouse, Vending Technologies, and Wellington Drive Technologies.

How they were chosen
The companies were selected by a panel of judges from Unlimited and Iguana2
according to three criteria:

1. Quality of management - the companies must have a management team with a
proven track record, and a commitment to investor relations. Eg: Telecom has
an excellent management team and fully discloses to shareholders.

2. Franchise - the companies must have a core idea, patented technology or
"franchise" that protects it from competition and price rises. It must also
be a smart user of technology. Eg; the Warehouse brand is a powerful
franchise in New Zealand and is a smart retail IT user.

3. Size of market - the companies must have international sales or growth
potential. This maybe in the form of joint ventures or acquisition or simply
export sales. Eg: Software of Excellence has almost all of its future growth
in export.

The companies must have their primary listing in New Zealand, thus excellent
candidates such as Lion Nathan and Baycorp are sadly excluded.

There's no restriction on the minimum or maximum number of companies.  Only
companies that fit the criteria are chosen.

"We hope the UI Index grows to become a benchmark of quality that companies
aspire to. But time will tell. We believe we have chosen New Zealand's best
listed companies. Now we can only hope the market agrees," says Heeringa.

You can check out the index and get more detailed analysis of the companies
included at these sites:

Unlimited.co.nz/investor
Sharechat.co.nz
Page 24 of the Unlimited February edition

For further information contact:

Vincent Heeringa
Unlimited publisher
09 302 8759 (work)
09 360 0651 (home)
021 926 739

Ben Dutton
Iguana2
+61 2 92111 466 (work)
+61 414 225 882 (mobile)
bendutton@iguana2.com

ENDS

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] New sharemarket index launched - PS Ben Dutton