Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2002

[sharechat] high interest rate returns

From: "hugh webber" <hugh.webber@clear.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 19:14:51 +1300

There have been some interesting posts in the media on the pitfalls in
contributory mortgage
schemes (delays in repayment, delays in interest payment, shortfalls if the
development scheme
doesn't fly as expected) and the Commerce Commission has been getting stuck in
and sorting at least
one of them out. (No discussion at all in Sharechat however :-(

Its intriguing to scan adverts in financial sections of newspapers. I notice
here in Chch that the
highest interest adverts (11.5% to 12.5% sort of range) that the latest thing
is "redeemable
preference shares" (at least 3 different companies advertising recently).

I wonder if we could have some discussion on what the fishhooks, if any, are on
these schemes and
if they are just a way of avoiding CC action on contributory mortgages.

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: [sharechat] high interest rate returns geoff_julie