Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2002

[sharechat] Dow/ Nasdaq Competition: Results

From: "Peter" <pmaiden@today.com.au>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 13:33:27 +1300

I own up to being 'Winner' and the winner of this competition.

Thanks go to Gerry for organising the competition and to Sharechat
for giving him the facilities to do so. An interesting competition.

Winner in name only because if you look at the results Gerry was
actually closest.

Gerry stood by his ineglibility and was honorable to the end - even
by insisting he wouldn't share in the winnings by accepting a bottle
of his favourite red wine

Accordingly the prize money has been donated to the Royal New Zealand
Foundation for the Blind - not as a gesture of blind faith but to
assist a cause that I have a personal interest in.

Some of you understand why my pick way back in last April was so low.
Saying that the Nasdaq would fall to 1350 was only reaffirming my
personal views where the US markets were heading - and that is where
a chart said it was heading.

What is a bit scarry is that it took terrorist attacks on Sept 11 to
force it down to that level. An event I could not have perdicted. The
US markets had started to decline before then and I still believe
that they would have continued that decline. However the events of
Sept 11 turned the whole thing into a new ball game and other factors
outside of fundamentals took over. Hence the strong rise in the
markets since then.

Goodness knows what will happen this year. The 'Santa Claus Rally'
has pushed the US markets up strongly over the last few days. Only
time will tell whether this continues. Let's hope so

Cheers

Peter

  --- Send the right message ---

        + Today freemail +

Get your free, private email address at
       http://www.today.com.au

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: Re: [sharechat] MCR.ax Glen Whiteman