Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2001

Re: [sharechat] Re: worm virus

From: Will Bryant <will@sharechat.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 22:10:37 +1300

>Will, what the heck is an automatic download file?*
Well I don't really know exactly what you would see on your screen as I am
"immune" since I use Eudora Pro instead of Outlook Express.

I believe, from the descriptions given by others, that as soon as you open
or preview the infected email you are prompted to "download" a file.

If you click the "Cancel" button, you are fine.  If you however let it open
it then you will be running the virus.

So I would assume it's no more dangerous than surfing the web - if you
clicked a link on the web and you were prompted to open a file you knew
nothing about, you would definitely not do so (I hope!).  But, like I say,
I don't use Outlook Express so I can't see for myself.

>Are there files which automatically open when you are
>just reading the email they are attached to?
Not quite, AFAIK they're files that *try* to automatically open when you
read the email - just click cancel and you're fine.

>If so I think I'll unsubscribe and refuse to read any sharechat postings
>with a file attached.
If you like, but it wouldn't actually make any difference I think, only 1
made it through our filters and there should be no more; however you'll far
more likely receive them directly (I've got about 6 already, nothing to do
with the Forum).

In other words, you'll most likely get sent it from ppl who're nothing to
do with us.  Just make sure your friends click "Cancel" too :)

You are running the latest version of Outlook Express, aren't you?  (if
that's what you're using - if not don't worry, the virus shouldn't affect
you.)  Fully patched up (using WindowsUpdate)?

Will Bryant                                 ShareChat technical manager
will@sharechat.co.nz                        http://www.sharechat.co.nz/