Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2001

[sharechat] Spoofing email addresses (off topic)

From: jerrold poh <jerm@musician.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 23:54:43 +1300

> i feel like setting up a bogus email address and having a bit of fun
> with this guy?  would i constantly have to keep looking over my
> shoulder thought?

I know it's off topic, but it's not hard to do :).  First, find the name
of a mail server ... I'll just use smtp.ihug.co.nz (cos I'm with ihug
obviously, and I don't think they'll mind :) ), and then type this in:

  telnet smtp.ihug.co.nz 25

(don't forget the 25 at the end of the address).  this will log you into
the mail server, now type in this

  mail from: email_from@address.com
  rcpt to: email_to@address.com
  data

Now type in the message.  Once you're done, type in a full stop on a
blank line with nothing else on it, and push enter.

Note: the email is still traceable, but is _much_ harder to do, and
requires the co-operation of the mail server admin in question, so yeah,
I don't think you should have a problem :).

Jerrold.