Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2001

[sharechat] brokerage

From: not important <cullen150@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 21:58:27 -0800 (PST)

Hey chatters
 I enjoy trading but I'm paying a minimum of $35 per
transaction or 1.5% (whichever is larger) in brokerage
fees. As I'm a poor student I only want to trade in
small amounts of say $500 but this means I have to
recover $570 before I've started. This makes it hard
to trade IMHO.
 Is this a reasonable rate to pay? Is this in line
with what you would expect one to pay for discount
brokerage? Is there somewhere that I could get
brokerage a lot cheaper? (CHCHish region)

 My other question is if a broker charges say $50 to
buy shares for you, does HE/SHE have to pay a fee to
the exchange or somewhere else, or is this $50 100%
profit (of course minus normal business expenses)?
 If there is no fees, whats to stop me making my own
transactions if I became registered so I pay no
brokerage. This way I could buy shares at say $1.00 in
the morning, they raise to $1.02 (very possible) by
the afternoon and I fork them off making 2% pure
porfit no worries in one day?

 Am I missing out???

  TIA as always,
     the cullenator 150   :)