Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - October 2001

Re: [sharechat] Film " Lord of the Rings " and Tourism

From: aorang@voyager.co.nz
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 22:35:24 +1300

Hi Gerry,

This film will probably develop a "Star Wars" cult like following and given the
magnitude
of the story rightfully so. The scenery will no doubt be spectacular and will
show NZ
very positively. But this has also been done in other films eg The Piano and
Vertical
Limit.
 How many people go to the movies and wonder where the film was shot? How many
people then decide they will visit that beautiful location? I think most people
leave the
theatre enraptured with the film not the shooting location.

I think NZ tourism could have (and should have) used the uniqueness of Lord of
the
Rings to develop a "theme" type tourism niche. Why were the sets etc not
allowed to be
kept in place at their locations for people to go and visit? I believe the
costumes etc
were sold off over the internet? They could have been kept in NZ for tourist
friendly
displaying at the set locations etc. Are we even publicising to the world that
New
Zealand was the "Middle Earth" country used?

I think devout Lord of the Rings fans would have travelled the world to see
sets,
memorabilia etc. But will not come to see the "bare" landscape.

I believe another opportunity has been lost to NZ tourism. Awareness of our
country will
be hightened if the credits are bold enough but the true worth of the film to
NZ has been
neglected. Given the dour outlook for worldwide tourism in the immediate future
another golden opportunity will I think slip by us.

Regards,
Moose

Want to find share analysis that is accurate, reliable and useful?  Check
out Intelligent Investing's "Quick Reports", information for the savvy
investor

Click here: http://www.intelligentinvesting.co.nz/quickreports/home.htm