Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - October 2001

[sharechat] SKC annual report

From: "silverfox 101" <silverfox140@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 15:01:34 +1200

A query for the accounting-aware out there:

I am still getting to grips with some aspects of NZ financial reporting, and
am struggling to reconcile SKC's Statement of Financial Performance (Profit
and Loss statement). In particular, the expenses of $335 million refer to
note 2, which in turn lists operating expenses that are 'included within
total expenses'. The list is obviously not complete as they add up to only
$214m. Is the missing $121m found elsewhere in the report, or is that the
extent to which NZ entities need to report their costs?

They also report an EBITDA of $192m in the foregoing 'blurb', but nowhere do
I see it calculated in the statements.

I understand that NZ financial reporting is relatively 'neutral' between the
requirements of creditors and equity holders, whereas US standards lean
towards shareholder needs. Are less than complete P&L figures an example of
such? If so, my instinct will be to concentrate my investing efforts
elsewhere.

Regards
silverfox