Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2001

Re: [sharechat] Potential virus problems

From: Paul.Menneer@sealedair.com
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 14:50:03 +1300

Copy of an email that I received this morning from our IS Team.

Paul Menneer
**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
To all staff Asia- Pacific,

Please be aware that there is yet another computer virus circulating at the
moment.

It is called the Nimda virus. Further details can be obtained at
http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.nimda.a@mm.html

This virus is spreading rapidly, and has several mechanisms for replicating
and distributing itself. We are currently updating the virus definitions
for PCs now. Local admins please download the definitions dated 18th
September and distribute ASAP. We are receiving news that this virus is
spreading at an alarming rate.

Until we can get our Lotus Notes servers protected with the latest updates
we can see we are already receiving this virus via e-mail.

If you receive an e-mail containing an attachment called "readme.exe" - DO
NOT OPEN THIS FILE. Simply delete the entire e-mail.

Please EVERYONE be careful of any attachments received in an e-mail.

Once again, don't be too concerned over who you receive this e-mail from,
as in most instances the sender does not even know they're infected and
sending you the e-mail. Knowing who sent you this e-mail is of little
consequence. Once our definitions are up to date, the senders will be
advised by our software that they are infected.

Regards,

AP Virus Protection Team
19th September 2001

"G Stolwyk" <stolwyk@wave.co.nz>@sharechat.co.nz on 19/09/2001 13:18:26