Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2001

[sharechat] Greater exposure by QBE

From: "G Stolwyk" <stolwyk@wave.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 22:20:18 +1200

QBE: 428 mill. shares, first half profit increase by 56% and set for a $ 260 mill. profit at end of year, analysts thought.

A few days ago, QBE thought that the exposure to the US Trade centre was small. This has now changed:

" 17 September 2001
QBE INSURANCE GROUP LIMITED TERRORIST ATTACKS ON THE USA

QBE today regretfully advised that the potential claims from last Tuesday's terrorist attacks on the USA could be much higher than the very preliminary estimates advised last week. Whilst further work continues, our review to date of covers provided and reinsurance protections in place throughout the USA, Lloyd's and European company operations indicates that a substantial part of QBE's expected profit for 2001 could be utilised by this tragic event.

The final claims cost will not be known for many years and it will depend on the determination of liability and potential US government compensation. It is still too early to confirm accurate numbers for a variety of reasons, including:

· The classes of business which may be called upon to respond to the 5,000 victims to be identified.
· The number and value of property and contents damage in and around the World Trade Centre.
· The loss of policy and claims files held by brokers based in New York.
· QBE's New York office will not be open until this week.

Sufficient provisions will be raised in the accounts before year end for the potential claims, which will be paid out over the next several years.

The classes of business which we have reviewed as likely to be affected include aviation war, aviation liability, property, business interruption, loss of rent, contents, fine art, loss of security documents, personal accident, workers' compensation, loss of money, credit card, trade credit, performance bonds, motor, errors & omissions, directors' & officers', general liability, professional liability, travel, cancellation of sporting events, property catastrophe, property excess of loss, personal accident catastrophe and workers' compensation catastrophe. The extensive reinsurance protections in place are now considered most likely to be insufficient to cover aviation liability and personal accident claims from this event.

Fortunately all QBE US staff are safe, but are under considerable stress from the loss of many friends and from the death and destruction they witnessed firsthand.

Mr Frank O'Halloran, CEO of QBE Insurance Group, said "All our years of careful risk management and our profit record have been damaged by this tragic event. As is our usual practice, we made allowances in our plans and our reinsurance protections for major disasters. However, we did not contemplate a disaster of this magnitude from the action of terrorists. Therefore, we did not envisage these terrorist attacks, which involved two commercial aircraft hitting the World Trade Centre, with two further buildings collapsing and many damaged, as well as two other aircraft destroying lives and property in Washington and Pennsylvania". He added, "This event will change the extent of risks underwritten by insurers and reinsurers. Terrorism will need to be excluded from many classes of insurance, unless there is some form of terrorism catastrophe arrangement, government protection or terrorist pool such as in the UK. It will also mean further substantial increases in premium rates, mainly to cover the higher cost of reinsurance and the reduced reinsurance capacity that is likely to be available".

QBE advised that its underlying businesses and its balance sheet remain strong. The Group's capital, after allowing for this disaster, is still well in excess of APRA's minimum capital requirement at 1.32 times and shareholders' funds are around $2.0 billion. Mr O'Halloran said, "We believe this will be the largest ever loss for the insurance industry by a significant margin. It will therefore test a number of balance sheets. Our review of QBE's exposure to reinsurers would indicate the majority of our recoveries from this event are from the larger reinsurers". He further said "Whilst this year's profitability will be substantially reduced, at this time it is expected that directors will maintain the dividend payment at year end".

Our existing reinsurance protections are in place for the potential of further catastrophes in 2001 and our prudential margins at 30 June 2001 remain unchanged.

For further information, please contact Frank O'Halloran, CEO, Tel: 61 2 9375 4400

17 September 2001."

Current QBE share price:$ A 5.80 (- 37% )

Gerry

|Top|

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: [sharechat] Directors:The quality of decision making : AIR ryanrite