Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2001

[sharechat] Any medicine?

From: "John and Beth Schwartfeger" <timestwo@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 13:31:56 +1200

With the market now pretty well savaged and the possibility of a further mauling still prevailing, what do people consider to be good strong companies that will, with the advent of time bounce back and be a good long term prospect and have continued dividend payouts?
FFS appears to have very strong buyer support at the moment but they don't have a dividend appetite. Maybe at current levels they could be a good short term punt if the receivership issue is resolved in coming months?
I am reappraising my portfolio having halved my commitment in the share market last week at what now is showing to have been a prudent move. I am now wanting to have dividends as a strong part of my portfolio but on companies that should still be around in a year or three so to speak.
It would appear a lot of companies that before this crisis were considered to be a good buy then, have plummeted in value now and surely must make a good buy at current levels if this crisis doesn't cause a total melt down. Maybe tomorrow there will be even greater buys??
Conversely. Any other investment strategies one could consider instead of shares????
Crystal ball I know but maybe a change of focus from the negativity could be the right medicine right now??
Any thoughts???
Thanks..John.

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: [sharechat] Any medicine? Malcolm Cameron