Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2001

Re: [sharechat] AIR attn snoopy

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 12:10:54 +0000

Hi Malcolm,

> Snoopy
> Try reading this article in australian financial review, by Alan
> Kohler. I hope you can get it of the site I get the print version
> every weekend. This is just an address not A link.If somebody has
> access to print version it is on back page.
> http://afr.com/commentopinion/ Malcolm Cameron

Thanks for the reference.

The AFR comment is not on the AFR site unfortunately, even to
subscribers, so may you would be good enough to present a precis of
it for us Malcom.

Meanwhile AIR certainly has my attention.  There seem to be various
key points which the mainstream media is continuing to miss.

Firstly, the decision to allow Air New Zealand shares to be
reinstated on the Australian Stock Exchange has been reversed.  They
seem to be still suspended 'over there' and I am not really sure why.

The second media proposition is that Brierley Investments and
Singapore Airlines now own 37% and 34% respectively of a restructured
Air New Zealand.   This assumes an Air New Zealand share price can be
sustained above 60c for a 100 day period.   With the shares now down
to half that, this seems a fantasy.

>From the Air New Zealand press release of results:
"This issue will be priced at the lower of 67 cents per share or the
volume-weighted average price at which the Company's shares trade
over the 10 business days preceding shareholder approval."

If this price is 30c, not the fantasy 67c, then both Brierley
Investments and Singapore Airlines will be getting 67/30=2.23 times
the number of shares that the mainstream media thinks they are
getting.

As closely as I can figure, Air NZ now has 750million shares on
issue.  Singapore Airlines and Brierley Investments are intending to
put in $150million each at the assumed figure of 0.67c each.   This
means they are getting 150/.67= 225million shares each, leading to a
total of 750+2(225)= 1200m shares on issue.

Previously Singapore Airlines held 25% of Air New Zealand or
0.25x750=187.5million shares.  After this exercise, at 67c peer hsare
issue price, they will hold 187.5+225= 412.5m shares, which equates
to 412.5/1200= 34.4% of the company.

This is in line with what Air New Zealand said would happen.
So far so good.

Now consider what happens if the shares are issued at 30c.  Singapore
Airlines would therefore get 150/0.30 = 500million shares.  The
total amount of shares on the market would rise to 750+2(500)= 1750m.
Singapore Airlines would then own 187.5+500=687.5m shares after the
restructuring.

687.5/1750 means Singapore Airlines would then get 39.3% of Air New
Zealand, which is beyond the government's 35% cap.  There is no
guarantee that Air New Zealand can retain their international landing
rights under this scenario.   This rescue deal is now dead IMHO.
SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Sometimes to see the wood from the trees,
you have to cut down all the trees."