Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2001

[sharechat] US Stock Exchange opening on Monday.

From: "G Stolwyk" <stolwyk@wave.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 20:33:35 +1200

There have been some comments made as to a rise or fall of the Dow and Nasdaq on opening day.

I take the view that sofar, there have been reasonable attempts made to reduce the falls and spread these out over time. There have been some falls, nevertheless.

Any rises have been relatively small and have not been convincing. In my opinion, markets have to come down further.

An excuse to shortcircuit the time needed to reduce indices to more ' acceptable ' levels, has been supplied by the tragic events in the last few days.

Some large US brokers suffered a heavy toll. To set up again, it is possible that some of their private stocks may have to be put on the market as well.

It is all tragic but unfortunately cannot be avoided.

Gerry