Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - August 2001

Re: [sharechat] ITC - attn. Chris Castle

From: "Chris Castle" <c.castle@paradise.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 15:29:19 +1200

Hi John,

Widespread Portfolios still holds a substantial parcel of ITC shares (some,
but not enough, bought at present price levels when the company was
reconstructed). I still like the company and its major investments. I'm not
happy about the Streamlink deal and the apparent breakdown in communication
about its demise when Jeff Dittus issued the "hey, we are OK statement"
recently when the price collapsed again.

I don't have a problem with the $900,000 bonus for the good deals - I just
wish it worked the other way for the bad ones. It's not a lot in $US terms
anyway.

The cash burn doesn't worry me.

I don't think the company has a lot of credibility left at the moment and
the shares won't perform (whatever they say) unless a major gain is
crystallised in DVI or VS. I'm not so worried about them finding more deals
after that - it's a good buyers market now and it may be for a while.

Generally I think the company is on track even if the market doesn't seem to
agree and am prepared to stay in and possibly buy more  The talk of a
possible rights issue seems ineptly timed given the present market situation
but I see the issue, if it eventuates, as an opportunity to buy more.

ITC right now is a classical counter-cyclical investment opportunity - it's
either the best buy or the worst buy in the market. I tend to favour the
former view at the moment.

 The irony of the whole business is that the company is in far better shape
now than when the shares reached $1..........

Hope that makes sense.

Chris Castle