Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - August 2001

Re: [sharechat] LEARNING TO INVEST>>>Disciplined Investment Decisions

From: "Christian Mair" <product@adidas-ep.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 13:55:08 +1200

I refer to Peter Maiden's post in the Learning to Invest series.

After a few years of investing, making & losing money I have always relied
on my initial decision to stick with a stock as soon as I bought it. Last
year it all turned to custard and some stocks of mine have depreciated more
than 50%. Sometimes I haven't done my homework properly and profits in the
past have been erased by losses in the present.

Peter, after reading your post of setting disciplined stop-losses I have
spent weeks of digesting your views and I tried to figure out if stop-losses
fit into my longterm investing rules. I finally came to the decision that I
should use stop-losses and today my first stop-loss has been activated and
executed. I have entered a stop-loss for my RMG to the price that I
break-even after deducting all my transaction costs. Main reason was that I
am not happy with RMG reporting another loss.

It was hard, very hard. I never sell easily and as a newbie to stop-losses
it took some time until I pressed the mouse button to confirm my stop-loss
entry.

I would like to hear more from fellow sharechaters about their experience in
setting stop-losses.

Regards,
Christian