Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2001

Re: [sharechat] Infratil

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 18:51:10 +0000

>>>They take 4% profit for themselves which takes the cream away .
>>>

>> Care to explain this a little further?   Not sure what you mean.
>>

> Management fee

Hmmm, maybe I'm a bit slow today but I'm still having trouble
following this.

Management take 4% of the total profit *plus* whatever salaries they
happen to be on?  How many staff do Infratil have anyway?   Are they
all 'management'?  Who gets the 4% (obviously not the shareholders)?
Do the management hold shares, or share options at all?

As far as Trustpower goes, Infratil are a significant shareholder,
But how much of the day to day policy of Trustpower do Infratil set?
My impression is that they have a strategic stake.  Any Infratil
management on the board will be well rewarded by the directors
fees and Infratil itself will be well rewarded by any gain in the
market value of shares, and their fair share of the dividends.

So 4% management fee is 4% of what?   Is it 4% of the
appropriate share of the Trustpower dividend that goes straight to
the management?   Do the management get a huge bonus of 4% of the
capital profits (if any) when the Trustpower stake is finally sold?
I presume Infratil would have to pay an effective 33% tax on any
capital gain on such a transaction, whereas a private investor would
not.   What happens if whatever Infratil invest in goes down in
value, or makes no profit in a particular year?   Why not invest in
Trustpower directly if you want exposure to that?

If you compare a 4% profit tax with the typical monitoring fees
charged for a managed fund, it seems very high.  SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"You can tell me I'm wrong twice,
but that still only makes me wrong once."