Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2001

Re: [sharechat] Who Owns Air NZ?

From: "hugh webber" <hugh.webber@clear.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 21:44:04 +1200

I must confess I'm a bit mystified by the weird Air NZ dances.
I recall CEO Toomey saying confidently on TV that Air NZ had
lots of options for replacing the Ansett fleet and that people shouldn't
jump to conclusions. Presumably one option is to replace the fleet
more slowly and to lease new aircraft or newer second hand aircraft
rather than buying them. People are so determined that Air NZ only
has 3 options (a) sell more to SIA (b) sell Ansett to SIA (c) sell more
to QANTAS.
Are they sure they've covered all the options?
Frankly I can't follow the "manage Air NZ by NZ public opinion poll"
route the news media are following. I thought the airline was owned
by the shareholders and organised and managed by the management
and directors. Who cares what Alliance supporters think? Or any
political party supporters for that matter. Fairly dangerous precedent
and I'm rather surprised at the NBR introducing it - I thought they were
a business magazine and hence more responsible.

cheers,
Hugh

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: Re: [sharechat] Who Owns Air NZ? greg