Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2001

[sharechat] Chartists.

From: Phaedrus <Phaedrus@techemail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 21:33:03 -0700 (PDT)

Hugh,
     Some answers to your questions :-
  "The part that puzzles me is that if charting doesn't predict, then what is
the point of it?"   One of the main objectives of charting is to identify
trends, with a view to participating in them. Charts show us if a stock is
trending up (or down), and when that trend ends.
  "It doesn't analyse in terms of the things that matter i.e. the quality of
the management, the product, the market characteristics,the gross yield %, the
nta per share, the p/e, the yield on shareholders funds, the growth of earnings
per share."  All of these things are reflected in the share price. The price
discounts everything. By studying the shares price movement, we are following
(albeit indirectly) changes in the underlying fundamentals, as well as changes
in the markets perception of those fundamentals.
  "Is the apparent info that the 'uptrend has ended' useful?"   Absolutely.
Since I am only interested in holding stocks that the market is in the process
of re-valueing, I need to know when the market considers that a stock has
reached a fair valuation, and the uptrend ends.
 Consider TLS. This stock listed at a discount to its true value. The market
proceeded to re-value it at a rapid, but steady rate. It went up about 8%/month
for month after month. For about 15 months. Then it stopped rising. No-one was
prepared to pay more than $9.20 for it. This was the absolute maximum value the
market was prepared to place on this stock.
  "So what's the point of saying the uptrend had ended if the stock then
resumed its upward movement?" Stock prices generally move in a zig-zag manner.
Uptrends tend to be followed by downtrends, or perhaps trading ranges. Since we
are not interested in holding on to this stock should it be moving sideways or
down, the end of the uptrend is a sell signal. Surely you do not think this
stock could have continued going up forever. As a fundamentalist, at what level
would you consider TLS fairly valued (or overvalued) and sell? I would be
really interested in your answer to this question.
   Consider TLS again. Say you or Snoopy analysed this stock in terms of the
things that matter, such as the quality of the management, the product, the
market characteristics,the gross yield %, the nta per share, the p/e, the yield
on shareholders funds, and the growth of earnings per share. You concluded that
TLS shares were valued at say $8.50 which made the issue price an absolute
steal. You backed up the truck, buying 30,000 shares for $100,000 as soon as
they came on the market. Following a simple trend-following system, you would
have exited 15 months later at $7.78 yielding $233,400. But you didn't. You
held, because the fundamentals were good. In fact they are still good. Only
trouble is, the market now values your holding at $161,000. You have lost well
over $70,000 by not selling when the uptrend ended. It is actually far worse
than that, because had you sold, you would have had the use of more than
$233,000 for over 2 years. Is the info that the uptrend has ended useful?   I
would say so!
    Look again at the TLS chart below. See how easy it is to see the uptrend,
and where it ended. See how it was followed by a very clear trading range, and
then a definite downtrend. Yes?
              Phaedrus.