Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2001

Re: [sharechat] Property Vs Shares

From: "DR" <kat47@bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 07:24:26 +1200

While the proposed taxing of owner occupied housing is not politically a goer, there are good reasons for doing it and some options available for allowing it to proceed in a way that does not affect a large part of the voter base.
Perhaps a threshhold of relief (say the first $100,000 of net value).
However, while I have not seen anything other than what is in the newspaper, I would be inclined to tax every asset for notional income at a lower rate. This would include second houses and vacant land, boats, and even art works. After all the money used to buy them could have been more usefully invested.
D.