Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2001

Re:[sharechat] AIR latest forecasts

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 19:09:04 +0000

And for a slightly different angle on this topic, have a look here:

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/s310290.htm

It is the web address of the transcript done by 'Four Corners', an
Australian documentary series, on the future of Australian airspace
which screened on June 11th 2001.

I think we all know that the real future of Air New Zealand will be
determined by what happens in Australia so it is all very relevant
to AIR shareholders.

Then there is the transcript of an attached internet panel discussion
featuring representatives from Virgin Blue and Impulse being
interviewed by the Australian public.  Fascinating stuff if you want
to get a feel for the mood of the nation, which the bare bones
newspaper reports don't give you.

Some highlights.

* The Queensland government has helped finance Virgin Blue.
* The Singapore government was a major financer of Impulse.   The
withdrawal of support for Impulse by Singapore government owned GIC
precipitating the events that lead to its demise.
* Flight West, which has just gone broke, is an important feeder
Airline for Ansetton their Northern routes.   Perhaps more trouble
for Ansett here, or will they stump up some of their cash mountain
(sic) and buy the rubble?
* By the end of the year Ansett and Qantas will face renewed
competition on the Sydney-Melbourne route (the third largest domestic
route in the world with 5 million passengers per year).  By then
Virgin Blue will have a total of 14 new 737-700 planes in service
which will give them the ability to pick up the travel slots made
vacant by the demise of Impulse.
* Singapore Airlines has access to up to
$A120billion (not a misprint!) of reserves under the control of the
Singapore government. Makes the $2billion Air NZ needs as a cash
injection seem puny!
* Air NZ would face a fine of some $50million should they
choose to leave the Star Alliance.
* Richard Branson if offering his European Airline, Virgin Atlantic,
as security for money required to keep his mobile phone empire
afloat.

I didn't read any of that in the New Zealand media. SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"You can tell me I'm wrong twice,
but that still only makes me wrong once."