Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2001

[sharechat] CDL Hotels

From: "Bruce Harris" <bruce99@freemessage.com>
Date: 20 Jun 2001 04:42:17 -0000

Am also a shareholder in CDL and am intrigued by the shareprice staying down.
Clearly the writedown of the Sydney hotel dropped profit, but still left NTA at
approx 60 cents. As the board have noted, if you take that revaluation out,
profit was around 4.5 cents a share, and while that is not a great return on 60
cents, it is a 24%return on the current 19 cents.
I suspect the lack of available shares do not get institutions excited to take
a plunge; while probably the assets are still overvalued, and so more
writedowns to come- even if that brings true Net Assets down to say 50 cents or
even 40 cents then that is still a good premium over the current price. given
that the report on the first quarter suggests higher still turnover, then this
picture should improve in the near term at least. Also, as noted the average
room rates are very low by international standards- this takes away some of the
risk that they will drop dramatically further- they can't go a lot lower. The
only real risk seems to be the global meltdown in economies hurting tourism
generally. this would hurt more than CDL though.
Anyway I'm happy to hold, and do not particularly care if the price does not
shoot up, as am happy to add a few more to my protfolio, Regards, Bruce.

Sign up for your FREEMessage account at
http://www.freemessage.com

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: [sharechat] AIR latest forecasts tennyson@caverock.net.nz