[sharechat] Irrational Exuberance

From: Dick O Connor <problast@altavista.com>
Date: 15 May 2001 15:27:30 -0700

    I have just been sticking my nose into a book called Irrational
Exuberance, a phrase taken from Greenspan when he was referring to the US
sharemarket in ’96. The book is written by a Yale professor of economics and
the interesting bits are mainly about his convincing explanations of why the US
market has become “irrational”. If you don’t do anything else, pick up a copy
of the book in a library or bookshop and turn to page 6 where there is a small
graph comparing the (inflation adjusted) rise in US share prices with the
comparatively microscopic rise in company earnings – a  startling comparrison.

    He suggests, in an understatement, that the US may be the exception in
terms of returns from the sharemarket. A Phillippe Jorion and a William Goetz
studied 39 countries, presumably other than the US, from 1916-96 and found the
median real (adujusted for inflation) rate of return was only .8% a year
excluding dividends.

    I wonder how many people interested in this chat site realise that NZ’s
performance over the last 13.5 years has been much worse. Before the crash of
’87 the NZSE40 reached a shade over 4000. Today it is still wallowing at nearly
half that. And maybe someone here could tell us what the real figure would be
if it was adjusted for the inflation over the last 13.5 years. Also, the NZSE40
figure presents and over-optinistic picture because it is refreshed from time
to time – a stronger company comes in to push a weaker company off the bottom
of the list. The biggest example that made the greatest difference was, of
course, Telecom without which the index would be a lot lower than it is. In the
same 13.5 years, the US market recovered from the crash fairly quickly and then
went on to quadruple – meaning it did eight times better than our market which
helps to explain why things have been so good there and, in the main, so
extremely difficult here.

I mention these few things because one sometimes gets the impression that some
younger chatters are not overly familiar with the history of where markets have
been. How could they be? I envy the younger people who are keen and showing
great interest. There is much more information available to them these days and
if they only keep going, and learn to set some parameters that will serve them
best, they must inevitably do better than those of us who are older. When I
took up an interest in the market, for example, it was almost impossible to
find a book that was worth reading. Today there are great books available and
the internet adds much more.

http://www.shopping.altavista.com

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: Re: [sharechat] Frucor - Lessons Learnt maunsell/liu