Re: Re: [sharechat] Aussie taxation - a bit of elucidation

From: "John H T Wilkinson" <jhtw@clear.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 22:52:34 +1200

Stephen,

I attend the meeting, detailed below, at which your colleague Andrea Black outlined the options that are being considered. I had a look on the IRD's Taxpolicy web site to see what may be on it but could find nothing re this topic.

How about seeing what you can come up with and either advising of a Link or pasting into an email to this site.

Cheers,
JHTW

Triangular Taxation

"Triangular taxation" occurs where Australian shareholders in a New Zealand company operating in Australia are unable to access Australian sourced franking credits, with the same problem applying in reverse for New Zealand shareholders in Australian companies operating in New Zealand.

The New Zealand and Australian governments have agreed that the examination of triangular taxation is a worthwhile step in addressing possible barriers to trans-Tasman investment. Officials in both countries have been instructed to develop a workable model for recognition of imputation credits in triangular cases, and assess the costs and benefits of applying such a model.

The purpose of this discussion will be to discuss the current problems, highlight the issues and potential solutions.

The discussion will be led by Michael Shaw (Tax Partner, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu) and Andrea Black (IRD Policy Advice Division).