Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2001

Re: [sharechat] Accuracy of Analysts' Forecasts

From: "Douglas Stewart" <dougstew@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:41:01 +1300

"I noticed an article this morning which includes the information that analysts' earnings forecasts in the U.S. are inaccurate by an average of 44%. "

I did some analysis of NZ brokers' figures for myself.

For 46 NZSE companies last year  with consensus earnings' forecasts from more than one broker I found that:

23 companies' earnings were underestimated.
2 companies' earnings were predicted exactly correctly.
21 companies' earnings were overestimated.

Of the 23 underestimates, 11 estimates were within 5% of the correct earnings figure and the median size of underestimate was just 5.3%.

Of the 21 overestimates, 9 estimates were within 5% of the correct earnings figure and the median size of overestimate was 8.3%.

From this data, consensus earnings estimates in NZ would seem to be fairly reliable. :-)