Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - December 2000

Re: [sharechat] 2001 thingy

From: "hugh webber" <hugh.webber@clear.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 19:18:01 +1300

yeah, I knew that was coming Nick; Question: does any one
have the time and energy to do it on the basis I suggested
for all the coys on the NZSE and publish it regularly?
I'm afraid I don't, and good though some papers are at keeping
their ratios updated e.g. the Press there is other information such
as profit changes on a comparable basis excl the effects of takeovers,
mergers etc, adjusting for capital changes that are needed, effect of
expiry of guarantees (e.g. I think that applies to Newmarket but no one
makes any adjustment or modified forecast) and stuff like that.
I guess its a bit strange that none of our financial press, internet sites
etc do it - too much like hard work I spose. Some of the errors in the
media are quite glaring and go on for ages.
Maybe one day when I'm retired....
Yes, it has the benefit of being simple but the cost of leading to 1987
and tech bubble mentalities and I'm not sure all the new players have
the knowledge and maturity to read it that way.
So congratulations to the lucky winner, a bottle of champagne vintage
1987 no doubt and keep all your fingers and toes crossed.
----------
> From: nickkearney <nk@xtra.co.nz>
> To: sharechat@sharechat.co.nz
> Subject: Re: [sharechat] 2001 thingy
> Date: Monday, 11 December 2000 22:13
>
> hugh
>
> i think you are right but it would be too hard for me to calculate all
> those every month or so.  at least at this stage all i have to do is
> note the last sale price for 2000 and check it constantly trhu 2001.
>
> this is a little superficial i admit but it is fun more than serious
> analysis.
>
> it might seem a bit silly if aql goes to 15c or so but not much we can
> do about that.  maybe we can restrict it to top 40?
>
> what does everyone think bout that?
>
> top 40 instead of an share?
>
> cheers 4 now
>
> NK
>
> hugh webber wrote:
> >
> > I can't resist a few of the same comments I made last year altho
> > with the tech bubble mostly gone its not so bad....
> >
> > (a) because a share freaks a rise coinciding with the year in
> > question doesn't mean its sustainable or a good investment....
> > (b) the winner should be the share which has the biggest
> > sustainable profit increase allied to improved shareholder benefits.
> >
> > If we don't take that on board then we haven't learnt anything over
> > the last year....but then I was pushing water uphill last year
> > and I guess I still will be this year.
> >
> > Maybe the winner will find they've got a National Mail the day
> > after.....
> >
> > ----------
> > > From: not important <cullen150@yahoo.com>
> > > To: sharechat <sharechat@sharechat.co.nz>
> > > Subject: [sharechat] 2001 thingy
> > > Date: Monday, 11 December 2000 18:09
> > >
> > > Nick
> > > Put me down for SPE
> > > (i dont think i'll be winning but its original)
> > > Cullen150 NI
> > >
> > > There is no defeat except for those who give up.
> > >             Joseph B. Wirthlin

> > > Yahoo! Shopping - Thousands of Stores. Millions of Products.
> > > http://shopping.yahoo.com/

> > > http://www.sharechat.co.nz/          New Zealand's home for market
> > investors
> > > http://www.netbroker.co.nz/        Trade on Credit, Low Brokerage.
Join
> > now.

> > > To remove yourself from this list, please use the form at
> > > http://www.sharechat.co.nz/forum.shtml.

> > http://www.sharechat.co.nz/          New Zealand's home for market
investors
> > http://www.netbroker.co.nz/        Trade on Credit, Low Brokerage. Join
now.

> > To remove yourself from this list, please use the form at
> > http://www.sharechat.co.nz/forum.shtml.

> http://www.sharechat.co.nz/          New Zealand's home for market
investors
> http://www.netbroker.co.nz/        Trade on Credit, Low Brokerage. Join
now.

> http://www.sharechat.co.nz/forum.shtml.

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: [sharechat] super schemes hugh webber