Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - December 2000

RE: [sharechat] 2001 - Airlines

From: "Talacek, Philip " <pjt57@elec.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 21:40:31 +1300

Quite to the contrary, given that NZ is a long haul destination for most,
the greatest factor determining the attractiveness of it as a destination is
the airfares.  A weak NZ dollar is only good for NZ if we able to fool
ourselves that because we are getting paid more $NZ we are wealthier.  In
the long run a weak $NZ just means that everything (and I mean every thing
as just about every thing can be exported) is more expensive.  Those who
fail to realise this in the short run will eventually find out that their
purchasing power has been eroded and they failed to demand appropriate
compensation.  NZ will be better off when we start producing goods that are
of higher value in all currencies.  In the same way inflation only creates
illusionary wealth which in fact has large negative implications for our
economy (based on the risk those lending money face, and the higher premium
they demand), a sudden drop in currency value means we are all poorer.  As
an example in the 70s one South African Rand purchased $3US (gold peaked at
about $800US an ounce in 1980).  Today a South African  Rand Purchases about
$0.135US.  Now those South Africans are no richer for the fact, in fact they
can't afford to leave with out giving up everything.  A low dollar is not
good for NZ it is just the world telling us they have no confidence in our
economy and are not willing to risk holding our currency as there is little
of value we are producing that they might like to buy, and as such in a
years time they suspect it will be worth less.

Phil T

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: [sharechat] 2001 thingy nickkearney