Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2000

Re: [sharechat] Goodwill.

From: Brian Gale <brigale@i4free.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 10:37:46 +1300

I'm not sure what you mean by ' Economic Goodwill' , Warner. I presume you are referring to the intrinsic value a company has in its infrastructure - but this does not appear in its accounts. BCH is a classic example where they have built up a sophisticated database, as part and parcel of their operations, but the real value of this would only come out if the company was sold. However the strength of the BCH infrastructure is well recognized hence their high share price.

This concept of  ' unmeasured value'  relates back to what Peter Maiden and Ben were discussing a while ago, I've forgotten the title.

In the case of R&D this would be written off as it was incurred ( it is a Tax Deductible item so would appear as expenses) not appear the accounts as an intangible asset. A company does not want intangibles on its books because, as the name implies, the value cannot easily be determined.

Which brings us to NTA which is the real value of a company in a wind-up situation. The Tangible assets consisting of buildings, machinery, office equipment (inc. computers and software), furniture and fittings, motor vehicles, able to be sold on the open market.
Intangibles are unlikely to have any value whatsoever unless the company is taken over as opposed to liquidated.
 NTA is the bottom line, theoretical, value of a company, but again it depends on how the assets have been valued and in many cases this value would not be fully realised, but it does give some measure of apparent value, on the open market. FFS is a case in point where it's NTA would be very difficult to turn into cash because of forest valuations.

 RMG  are issuing shares to purchase the acquisitions, so as the Goodwill increases on one side of the Balance Sheet the Shares on Issue increase on the other side, so an individual shareholder's portion is reduced, and the monetary target for ' Return on Shareholders Funds' has increased. Of course the hope is that eventually RMG will become a very strong Company able to justify the purchases with earnings that are better than those previously achieved by the  taken over Company.
I suppose it looks better if the shares are priced at higher than market price but really it could be cosmetic because the seller will want his value, which would mean the Goodwill will be higher.

It isn't easy to understand how Goodwill appears as an asset on the balance sheet, it's one of those ironies of accounting, it really is a liability until balanced off by future earnings, maybe if you think of it that way it will make more sense.

Regards
Brian