Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2000

Re: [sharechat] Air NZ AGM Report

From: "hugh webber" <hugh.webber@clear.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 17:45:35 +1300

brilliant analysis Snoopy thanks heaps, I really enjoyed it, keep it
coming.
Disclosure: I sold out at $3.40 but despite Buffettology I keep having
this twitching in my fingers to buy back in which my brain tells me to
resist.

cheers,
hugh

----------
> From: tennyson@caverock.net.nz
> To: sharechat@sharechat.co.nz
> Subject: [sharechat] Air NZ AGM Report
> Date: Friday, 3 November 2000 6:28
>
> Shareholders and members of the general public (registration and
> verification was dispensed with) were shown to their seats by the
> boys and gals in blue (yes they really were Air NZ cabin crew), as
> if they were boarding some sort of jumbo jet.
>
> After standing for a moment's silence, in respect of the Singapore
> Airlines 747 crash, the meeting commenced.
>
> Chairman, Sir Selwyn Cushing, emphasized that although the balance
> sheet presented accounted for the consolidated AirNZ/Ansett entity
> the earnings for the year did not (Ansett's revenues were presented
> as though it was a 49% subsidiary).   So using earnings and asset
> figures presented in the balance sheet would produce erroneous
> 'return on investment' calculations.
>
> It is too early to know if the Singapore Airlines crash will result
> in a downturn in passenger bookings for Singapore Airlines and less
> traffic being fed into the Air New Zealand end of the 'Star
> Alliance'.  But the known problem factor facing Air New Zealand is
> fuel costs.
>
> Air NZ have a hedging policy that sees them largely covered up until
> the end of December 2000.   Beyond this an impact of $100-125million
> of unbudgeted for fuel costs will severely impact the last *half* of
> the financial year ending June 2001.  I only heard the $100m figure
> quoted in the written media reports, but Sir Selwyn definitely
> mentioned the latter figure too.   'Market sentiment' was for the NZ
> dollar to now increase in value and fuel prices to drop.  So if this
> doesn't happen by the end of December, we are looking at an ongoing
> blowout of $250million per year in the fuel budget.   The impression
> I got was that beyond December 31st 2000 Air NZ is completely
> unhedged on both currency and fuel prices.  This wipes out most of
> the $350million identified as synergystic savings from the
> combination of the Air New Zealand and Ansett businesses.
>
> Airline commentator Peter Wakeman noted that last time a third
> domestic airline operated in Australia (Compass), Ansett's revenues
> were affected to the tune of $250million.   The question was asked
> what effect the new 'third players' are having on Ansett revenues
> today.   Whatever the effect an answer wasn't forthcoming, but I
> think it would be fair to say that combined with the fuel cost
> increases, the Air New Zealand/Ansett synergy savings have now
> evaporated.
>
> There does appear to be considerable disquiet in the travel agent
> ranks.   Apparently Air NZ have been trawling through IATA
> computer records in the United States and cherry picking customers.
> Then those businesses that ticket through travel agents, are being
> approached direct by Air NZ.   This together with the slashing of
> Agent's commission fees, sees a far from happy front bench.
> [...]

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: [sharechat] Air NZ AGM Report Graeme & Jill Christie