Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2000

Re: [sharechat] Eldercare

From: Derek <dkw@paradise.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 08:38:51 +1200

Ceeyay,

Thanks for your comments. I also understand that there is increasing
competition in this retirement home sector with many new entrants putting
preasure on the big boys (got that from the MIR). Last year Eldercare
reported earnings of 3c / share. The developements that you are talking
about seem to go back earlier than that. Therefore I wander if Eldercare
has somehow overcome these problems. If they can repeat 3c /share again
then the current share price looks very good. While in the previous year
they lost money, in the 99-2000 year their revenues and profits went from
strength to strength. What seems odd to me is that after announcing such a
good result in August the share price has fallen from around 40c to below
30c, taking the share back to early 99 levels & below. But the fall in
their shareprice is similar to that of Metlifecare indicating that the
market is reacting against the sector rather than the company. The p/e
figures & NZ's increasing older population tell me it's time to buy,
against market sentiment perhaps, but that just means hanging on to the
shares for a bit longer.

Derek

(don't own any ELD)