Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2000

Re: [sharechat] FFS

From: Chris <cd@ak.planet.gen.nz>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 21:53:37 +1200

Yes Jeremy, I first heard about Paulownia about '92.  Maybe a few
passionate hobby farmers have got some growing on but I am not aware of
any commercial stands.  Tensile strength and elasticity are its'
shortcomings and lousy butt log size.

Tasmanian Blackwood is hard to grow straight in NZ but does well in
temperate Australia.  See Tony H's previous post where he sums it up
well.  Better used in furniture than construction IMHO.  Tasmanian Oak is
Eucalypt Obliqua.  Has good density, straight pale brown fibre.  The fair
colourings are an attraction.  Lots of this around NZ and available at
reasonable prices.

Great to have a little tangential discussion about trees and things.  Tis
good to remember it was not too many years ago that some smart alec
thought P Radiata from coastal California would do well on his farm.  A
healthy bit of government interference and an unhealthy depression helped
create the industry we have today.  A family called Fletcher and the
arrival of the State House(oh no not more government interference) kicked
it on to where it is now. FOR SALE

Chris

Jeremy wrote;
>Just an aside.  There is an ultra fast growing hardwood tree touted here in
>Australia called Paulownia.  It grows faster than radiata and supposedly
>produces good quality hardwood within 10-15 years

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] Daily ShareChat News Update Ben Dutton