Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2000

Re: [sharechat] FFS

From: Chris <cd@ak.planet.gen.nz>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 16:13:12 +1200

I am unintelligent on ArborGen I have to admit Warner.  This commitment
of FFS is testimony to their vision.  How many NZ companies can you name
that plan 25-50yrs out.  Investment in ArborGen is effectively that.
Sounds more the German way than New Zild.  I commend FFS.

They are also doing a lot of work on reducing the chemical input.
Tanalizing will be a forgotten practise within 5-10yrs.  European markets
will be more receptive to our product once that is accomplished.  Carter
Holts kiln dried Laserframe is proving a big winner in our market and I
am sure FFS have something equivalent on the go.  I am just about to go
to tender on my new family home that has been 2-3 yrs in the planning and
avoiding material out-gassing is a priority.  Laserframe is on my list
along with Lawson Cypress which relies on natural inbuilt toxicities as a
preservative.

Ridding timber of chemicals is also ridding it of a large cost.  Take a
farmers fence post.  About 50% of the shelf price is in the chemical
treatment.  Oh well, you cannot fast forward the growing cycle as we do
with Radiata and avoid soft tissue timber.  Would not be surprised to
hear Genesis/ArborGen up to something in this area.

Come to think of it, shall we rebrand FFS a technology stock. Credentials
are almost right and  bound to get the price to x2 asset backing, say
$3.38(169x2).

Enough

Thanks for your considered input too.

Chris