Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2000

[sharechat] Tax Return

From: Roger <ramjet@paradise.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 10:54:58 +1200

Hi all,

I've been dabbling in shares for a number of years but without any great
success. My decisions were not based on any deep research as such but
since late last year I have put more time into studying the sharemarket
with a view to making some money quickly by trading shares.

As luck would have it, the market retreated and I bought a few shares in
Jan/Feb for a short-term gain but still held them on 31 March. Their
values on 31 March were less than what I paid for them (Yes, Ritchie,
I've noted your tip about selling them and claiming the loss - I'll do
that next year). I also hold other shares which are for long-term
capital gain.

Can anyone help me with the following;

1. As I have not done any trading, can I still claim expenses eg
newspapers, interest, subscriptions etc.?

2. Can I claim the brokerage on the trading share buys as an expense?

3. Do I have to claim depreciation on my computer and if yes, do I need
some kind of formal valuation?

4. Can anyone tell me about MAUS Stockmarket Plus software (price, easy
to use etc?) or recommend any other software which is good for
beginners.

Cheers.

Roger