Re: [sharechat] NZ dollar

From: Phil Eriksen <phil@acepay.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 15:09:59 +1200

ril wrote:

> The time to leave has come. Do not be afraid. There is a better life
> awaiting you elsewhere.

What the hell, it's Sunday, i'll take the bait.

I've always read your comments carefully, and have tried not to jump to
the conclusion that you have fully converted yourself to a whinging
pom.

Unlike a lot of others, I really can't claim to be in New Zealand "for
the lifestyle" or because "its a great place to live".  Frankly, I live
in a tiny room which is attached to my place of work.  It has no
wallpaper, sheets for curtains, and virtually no furniture.  I'm
certainly not a fan of high living, material possessions etc.  I do not
swim, sail, participate in any sports etc.  As for the people, im rather
antisocial, and outside of work contacts and the long suffering
girlfriend, I have minimal social contact.  So all the "benefits" of New
Zealand that people talk about are no doubt there - but I don't take
advantage of them.

The way I live suits me, its basic, I don't get distracted, it means im
virtually "always at work" and able to support my clients at funny hours
if need be.  Importantly, the industry i'm in and the principles that
guide the business means that those clients could be calling from
Wellington, Auckland, or Botswana - where my building is situated is of
little importance.

So why haven't I fled the country?  Well, the first reason is that
wherever I ended up, I would no doubt live in a little pokey room, my
only real interests would be the business, investing and a little
reading (as they are now), and I see no real advantage to be gained by
moving.  I understand there are much bigger markets elsewhere, but me
physically moving is in no way going to assist with getting into them.
As for issues such as taxation, the exchange rate, government policy
etc, there are ways to structure your affairs that minimise the effects
of "country-specific" problems(they can't, however, be totally
eliminated).  It can be done without moving.

The other reasons I have for not physically moving are :

If people like you RIL all leave the country as there is "no future for
smart people in NZ", surely theres some advantage in being one the of
the last smart people left?

I question whether one of the qualifications for being "smart" is the
willingness to drop everything and run as soon as the going gets tough.
Sure, New Zealand has its problems, but so does any country.  The point
for me, is lifestyle/friends/environment are of no consequence to me, so
I can't claim to be staying for those reasons like others do.  If
anything, I should be a candidate for leaving.  However, i'm not,
because currently my activities are not inhibited to any great degree by
living in NZ.

We live in an age where I am able to communicate with people all over
the world, invest easily all over the world, have customers, suppliers
etc in far flung locations, and do all this this affordably and
efficiently.  Why then, do you have this focus on what particular clump
of dirt you happen to be parking your butt on?

NZ is a very small country which can be both an advantage or
disadvantage if you are ambitious and have set yourself tough goals in
life.  While i'm sure you could list the negatives, one positive is that
it offers a relatively small market, which is more price sensitive than
most, and which demands as much as any.  New Zealand companies have had
to become lean and mean to get by, especially if they want to compete
with overseas firms.  If you can do well in this market, and have the
sort of product that can be sold elsewhere, I believe it's an ideal
country to "fine tune" the way you do things.

Finally, I suspect a reason a lot of people leave is because they are
fearful that their future prospects are limited if they stay in New
Zealand.  As for the people i've know who have gone, most have ended up
in little cubicles, working at much better pay rates, for huge companies
in big countries.  Believe you me, that makes you a very small fish in a
very big pond.  Sure, if times are good, all is rosy, but if times are
bad, the knife can fall very hard indeed.  You, RIL, are one that has
spoken of impending doom many times - have you thought through the
possible effect on wage rates if you are right?  You, RIL, want all
highly skilled people to rush off and join you - have you thought about
the intense competition for these jobs if everyone does?

Frankly, I can't be bothered moving.  I certainly keep an open mind
however, and am willing and able to move if it was the right thing to
do. I have no "ties" to this country, do not own the physical assets
that tie many here, do not have a large circle of people i'd miss, and
do not have a lifestyle to give up.  Theres nothing keeping me here.
However, theres nothing making me go.  I think if people are actually as
smart as they think, they'll do well anywhere.  Sure, if you want to
work for someone else, you'll probably earn more offshore.  But if money
is your main focus (and it sounds like it is) you'll note that (a) more
important than what you earn is how much you save, and what you do with
what you save and (b) the really rich people didn't get that way by
constantly moving to where the grass is greener.  They found a clump of
dirt and slaved away until it was green grass.

I'd much rather get on with trying to do the job that worrying about
what lump of dirt I should be doing it on.

Cheers,
Phil

http://www.sharechat.co.nz/forum.html.