Re: [sharechat] Making money in bear market

From: "Jeff Jobs" <bigbadbear2@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 15:45:37 GMT

Kausa, What you say regards forums, chat rooms etc is fair comment to a
point. There are some posters who would like to talk down share prices but I
doubt whether this is going to influence the large scale investors and
institutions. Take a look at CAH for example, there has been a large sell
order underlying that stock for several weeks even prior to the recent
announcements. A so, so share but a rock solid company, however they just
are not cutting it with return on capital or equity for that matter so
investors figure there are better opportunities around and if that is
offshore well so be it. There is no conspiracy out there to talk down share
values. I have been posting on other boards that this is a time to be very
cautious or in other words do nothing until after the 17th. Rising interest
rates are very, very negative for share markets whatever the country. I am
sure that after the FED does it's thing the US markets will begin to settle
down again and that will be good for the NZSE and ASX. This is all just part
of the cycle. By the way I have a theory that if the FED only raises .25
instead of .50 there will be a nasty correction because investors will
figure the FED is behind the play regards inflation. So as perverse as it
sounds I am hoping for a 50 point raise. I have already said in other posts
that the tech share boom is over for the time being and in fact is going to
turn into an ugly debacle on the NAS (it's now in motion today) but I still
read posts in NZ of people hyping the NZ tech shares. Well buy them at your
peril. The real problem for the NZ market is that unfortunately we just
ain't where it's at for the moment and with a market that is 60% overseas
owned when those investors want out well there is only one way the NZSE
index is going.