Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - April 2000

[sharechat] Headlines and sharemarkets

From: "Oliver Shapleski" <oliver.shapleski@vuw.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 16:59:57 +1200

Ben Dutton wrote:

"it's posts like yours that lowers the standards that we work so hard to
attain.
I can't see how it's "innocent" sending an article with a headline "**** YOU'RE A BORING LOT!"
That's not inadvertent - that's deliberate.
Believe it or not, but there are many more people subscribed to this forum
than you think.  The vast majority do NOT appreciate reading postings like
that."
*****
Now hang on a minute.  A certain word wasn't in the headline, but was a
"hypothetical newspaper article" that, of course, we would never see in the
newspapers, for many more reasons than you focus on now.

The "article/humourous tale" contemplates the New Zealand malaise in general
which is clearly reflected in the NZ sharemarket.  I would have thought a broader
contemplation of the NZ psychology outside pure stock prices would have been
appreciated by most readers in the forum (including yourself), but obviously a particular word  has denigrated the interest in what else has been written.

I respect that you want certain standards, and I fully agree that you should remove the origianl posting and any subsequent posting that repeats the word, but before you start blowing your top consider the context of the post a little more holistically.  I try and contribute to the discussions at
just as high a standard as most on this forum despite my limited experience, so I object to the suggestion that I am trying to deliberately lower the tone of the form.

Oliver