Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - April 2000

Re: [sharechat] AIRVB warning

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 00:47:55 +0000

> I don't know if I have this correct , are the rights issue going to
> create more shares on issue?

Yes

> If I read it correctly the number of  shares will increase from
> 567.5 m to 709.4m creating a dilution effect .

Yes but the exact terms haven't been set yet.   Nevertheless your
estimate  may not be too far away from what happens.

>With a proposed 1 for 3

What you proposed is 1 for 4, so let's stick with that

> ,this would mean 1/4 drop in
> shareprice wouldn't it ?

No.   It is not a bonus issue, but a cash issue being proposed.   It
looks like you have confused share price with NTA.   The NTA of Air
New Zealand shares is $3.75.    If a cash issue was struck at $1.50
on a 1:4 basis, the NTA would then become $3.30 per share.

After the cash issue much of the uncertainty and debt worries of Air
NZ will be gone.  Hence you could expect the shares to trade much
closer to their NTA than is the case now.

So rejigging your figures

 Using an example of airvb shares
 say we buy   40000 @ $2.65   =  $106000
 buy up rights10000 @ $1.50   =    $15000
 total shares   50000  costing    =   $121000

After rights issued shareprice goes from $2.65  to $3.30
 total shares  50000 @ $3.30  =  $165,000.

 Net profit $44,000

> Now I am confused as to why institutions are willing to buy shares
> on behalf of Bry when they stand to make only 3cents a share(1%) at
> most .

Maybe  your original figures are wrong ?

>That is if the deal is struck at $3.00 a share

If that is the price they make 45c per share.    Sounds much more
attractive than 3c! SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"You can tell me I'm wrong twice,
but that still only makes me wrong once."

http://www.sharechat.co.nz/forum.html.