Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2000

Re: [sharechat] BRY

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 08:01:27 +0000

> BRY bashers , but don't  lose fact of fundamentals  of business &
> investments .

Yes, always good to bear this in mind.

> Bry is a totally new fish

I disagree.   You take a fish, you move it to a new pond, you still
have the same fish.

> in a totally new pond,

Singapore is a low interest rate environment where companies funding
their debt by paying 8-10% junk bonds may well be regarded with
suspicion, I might have thought.   I think BRY will have to earn a
reputation in Asia.   Their major private shareholder is the Camerlin
Group which has been under pressure since the Asian crisis due to
their high debt levels.   I notice the Singapore government (also a
significant shareholder in Brierley) has this year increased it's
stake in Camerlin, so the Singapore government may yet save the day..

I notice that the Brierley website is now shut down and the mooted 3c
dividend to be declared before Christmas didn't happen.     Was there
any announcements made to the market about these events?   The market
tends to punish companies that don't keep it fully informed.

>  asset backing (nta) 80-90c   trading on a
> lethargic NZ Stockmarket  @ 40c .
>
> shifting to Asia where hardly any shares trade below asset backing .

Provided you can figure out what the asset backing is.   Remember the
Asian crisis?

> I will  regard it as a buy

Have you started buying?  If not when will you start? SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55