Re: [sharechat] neclear power good or bad by macdunk

From: "Ralph Redfern" <redrad1@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 11:46:53 +1200

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 7:52 PM
Subject: [sharechat] neclear power good or bad by macdunk

Hi guys
              It starts with a post on cen and ends with a squabble about nuclear power.
Nobody will agree with most opinions based on a complete lack of factual knowledge.
We don't need nuclear power In nz, so why have It.  we have tides rushing in and out of
harbours, endless wind sites, plus numerous hydro sites, and yet we are to stupid to
realise the potential.    Listen to so called experts and see what happens.
My own opinion Is nuclear Is the last resort safe or not .    I spent three years In
the British army learning the meaning of the word bull.   Take It from me the
experts are so wrong most of the time.  I argued In my field with building Inspectors
for quarter of a century about leaky homes, only to be told to get with It.
There are other experts that spring to mind, but the point being Is we do not need
this problem or their experts

                                  cheers macdunk

              Nobody has harnessed tidal power on a really large scale.Nuclear power stations are being built in several countries

right now.A nuclear power station was completed in Finland about 2 years ago,the Finns are so pleased with it they

have ordered another one from the French who incidently produce around 70% of their power from nuclear.

            Another country that has a large number of nuclear power stations is Canada,mostly along the Canadian

US border region.They export a lot of the electricity to the USA.

           Nz planned to build a Nuclear power station many years ago on a site near the Kaipara Harbour.It did not

go ahead,probably just as well at the time as nuclear technology was new then.However there has been many years of

development since that time and it may be worth looking at again.

          It does not produce green house gases.The yearly waste amounts to a few tons,unlike coal burning power

stations that produce hundreds of thousands of tons of ash which, I have read may produce as much natural radioactivity

as that "concentrated" in the waste from a nuclear station.

                                                               Ralph.