Re: [sharechat] Focus on CEN(Part 4)- Power Station's Fate

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 17:59:08 +1200

Hi hugh,

>If
>you listen to a self appointed "expert" who is also emotionally
>prejudiced rather than objective then you are just reinforcing your
>own prejudices.

This was no self appointed expert I listened to.  Barry Hill works in the
Australian Nuclear industry.    Yes they do have nuclear reactors over
there but for medical use.  Not supplying power.    He indicated the
economics of power might be different in 15-20 years time but they did
not stack up now.    If Hill had a barrow to push at all it was a pro-
nuclear one.

The other speakers at the seminar I went to were Don Elder, head of
Solid Energy and Keith Turner the CEO of Meridian.    I am scrambling
to find the exact organization that Barry Hill worked for now, but it
struck me at the time that it wasn't a cheerbunny outfit.  They were all
high calibre speakers

> Fact No 2: France for example gets most of its electricity from
> nuclear power stations. France is a competitive successful
> industrial country. i.e. the alleged uneconomics of nuclear
> power quoted are obvious bullshit. Get some real figures.

France is also a much larger country than New Zealand in terms of
power consumption.  It is a different market.    You cannot claim that
just because a nuclear reactor can be operated successfully in France
that the same technology will be economical to use here.    The figures
I quoted to you were the ones I was quoted on the night.  I had no
reason to believe they were fudged.  You would need full re-
nationalisation and reintegration of the NZ power industry to give
nuclear a look in.

> Fact No 3: There has only ever been one nuclear power station
> disaster - Chernobyl, due to all the operating procedures being
> ignored. It is safer using nuclear power stations than driving a car
> or flying in a plane.

A plane can be hijacked by terroists with devastating effects.  I wonder
what a terroist attack on a nuclear power plant could do?

> Fact No 4: Many NZers have a religious blind spot when you mention
> nuclear. Its time they grew up, became mature. The sun is a continuing
> hydrogen bomb, the light from your watch in the dark is radioactive,
> cancer tumours are treated with radiation, when you fly high in an
> aircraft you are exposed to radiation. Plant and animal life at the
> epicentre of the Hiroshima bombblast had resumed within months.
> Millions of tourists have now milled through it. None of them have
> died, or even been affected by it.

Robin has dealt with your inappropriate comparisons.

> Lets have some common sense behaviour and attitudes instead of
> political correctness and state education system brain washing.

No facts (apart form they use it there, so it must be good here)
supplied to support your point of view I see?

SNOOPY

--
Message sent by Snoopy
on Pegasus Mail version 4.02