[sharechat] Focus on CEN(Part 4)- Power Station's Fate

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 09:02:01 +1200

The biggest issue for me as regards Contact Energy is what happens
to Otahuhu B, and the Taranaki Combined Cycle Station, and
Contact's third planned for but not started gas power plant when the
cheap supply of Maui gas ends in 3-4 years time.  The best scenario is
that a new large-scale gas field will be discovered.   However, there is
no sign of this happening and I don't think it is good practice to go into
a business investment, like buying shares in Contact Energy, when
your only guaranteed supply is 'pipe dreams'.

Contact Energy has prudently taken the initiative to investigate the
worst case scenario.    Contact have put up a 'kite flying' proposal to
import LNG by the tanker-load.   LNG is a fuel that can be burned in
Contact's existing gas turbine stations without too many modifications.
That means there is no chance that the huge investment Contact has
made in Otahuhu B already will become obsolete.    Latest figures I
have seen for LNG leads me to believe that the wholesale-generated
cost will be between 8c and 10c per kWh.   Those kinds of figures are
in the ballpark with new wind power and incremental small-scale hydro
projects.  However LNG is an international commodity and the price is
liable to be much more volatile than Maui gas!  My take on what will
happen if the LNG scenario unfolds is that it will have very little effect
on Contact's gas power stations stand alone profitability, for any higher
input prices will be fed straight through to the energy customers.

What effects will higher power prices have on Contact's existing giant
hydro stations of Roxburgh and Clyde?    Scarcity of power will drive
up prices but not the cost from these hydro stations.    Those hydro
turbines effectively become money presses, printing out profits for
Contact at a rate that could not have been conceived only a few years
ago.

SNOOPY
--
Message posted by Harry Tennyson
 using Pegasus Mail 4.02

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: [sharechat] Focus on CEN(Part 4)- Power Station's Fate Marilyn Munroe