[sharechat] Investment Goal to Investment Stategy

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 13:47:34 +1200

I'd be interested in getting some feedback as to how people translate
their investment goals into investment strategies.  Probably the best
way to explain what I am on about is to start with an example.

Goal:  To obtain an income return year in/year out of twice the 90 day
cash return.  In today's terms this translates to a pre tax return of
around 10%.

Investment Strategy:   Buy a basket of high yielding shares.  In my
case I have selected CEN, LPC, WRI, RBD and SKC.

As it stands WRI and RBD meet my investment goal on their own.
Both are yielding around 11% so I can afford to see the share price
decline by a few cents this year and still meet my goal.

The other three shares are yielding less, so should I sell them?   Not at
all.    The reason why the other three are yielding less is because the
market perceives them as 'less risky' and rightly so in my view.   Less
risk is quite all right with me!   LPC, CEN and SKC have a hard core of
very solid earnings, but nevertheless they are buffeted around by the
vicissitudes of Mr Market anyway.  If you can identify the range over
which these share prices are being buffeted then you can enhance
your return by topping up on these shares at or near the bottom of that
range.    That means over the longer term you can expect a modest
capital gain to supplement your dividend return.  Notice I said 'modest
capital gain'.

Income shares tend to be more 'price stable' and wild capital gains are
less likely than in the wider sharemarket.

If share prices fluctuate about a 'fair value', that means that if you
value this 'income portfolio' at any time some of the shares are likely to
be slightly undervalued and others slightly overvalued.    Nevertheless
for all five shares looked at at once, as a collective, there is a very
good chance that the slight undervaluations in one share will be
balanced out by slight overvaluations in another ( Note: I have taken
some trouble to make sure my five shares are in different industries
and so are not closely correlated ) .    That means the overall portfolio
of five shares will track much closer to 'fair value' than the individual
ingredients that make it up.

If you buy individual shares when the shares are 'slightly undervalued',
but at any time when you want to value it,  your overall share portfolio
is 'fairly valued', then it seems obvious to me that you will do better
than a straight 'buy and hold' income investor.   And, since I have
adapted this strategy to my 'income portfolio', so it has proved in
practice.

So, there is my 'income investment' goal and accompanying
investment strategy laid bare.

Now I'll throw the question over to the wider audience.   How do you
organize your investment strategies to meet your investment goals?
I am particularly interested to hear from the 'gold bull' guys.    The
Haggis gave some good advice when he suggested that you should
always buy when prices are cheap.    But the question I want to know
is with gold and other raw materials, 'How cheap is cheap?'

SNOOPY

--
Message sent by Snoopy
on Pegasus Mail version 4.02

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] Investment goal to Investment strategy reply by macdunk Duncan MacGregor