RE: [sharechat] virus ex sharechat

From: Gavin Treadgold <gav@rediguana.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 13:57:31 +1300

Malcom, I have no concerns about your security.

The only issue I have with security on this list is that attachments are
allowed at all. In this day and age with all the malware around, list
managers should actively be stripping all list attachments.

I know this would cause a problem with chart images and the like, but the
solution there is to have some temporary web space where a file can be
loaded, and then a link to the file on a web server provided in the email
instead of the actual file. Not only is it safer, but it is more efficient
for all involved. I'm currently dealing with this issue on another list
which has had virus accusations flying around. This is something that the
sharechat list admins could provide relatively easily. I know it is pretty
easy to write a form to handle upload of files to a web site. It is a
trivial solution (form to handle upload, hit submit, file saved to server,
presented with URL to link to file on webserver, cut and paste into email -
yes I was and still do some web development). Note that it doesn't stop the
uploading of malicious files, but it does stop the widespread distribution
of them - right now everyone on the list gets a copy).

I'll be much happier when attachments are forever stripped from email lists!
:)

Cheers Gav

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: RE: [sharechat] I Dunno Gavin Treadgold