Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - December 2003

Re: Re: Re: [sharechat] CONGRATS

From: hugh webber <hugh.webber@clear.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 21:31:26 +1300

I once asked that question of some rugged individualistic
day-trader and got the crusty reply "If I told you that I'd
have to shoot you" ;-).

If you look a bit further back you'll see me unashamedly
touting Contact - brokers raising their valuations up around
the $6 mark, nice dividend coming on, story in today's Press
BusinessDay on low water inflows and wholesale prices
going up.....besides which they supply our household and if
they're going to gouge me with price increases I may as well
buy them. Not really affected by level of the NZ $, interest rates,
junk food, ban on tobacco & & are they.....

Scott Technology and Sanford have been doing well too.....I
like to see an exporter of a scarce commodity (SAN) fully hedged and
doing well out of it.

Now I've taken early retirement I have a new approach or rather
an additional approach to just value investing and sitting for long
periods but if I told you what you fellers would all knock the
trough over in your rush and spoil it for me....

Suffice to say it doesn't involve charting/"technical analysis",
momentum trading, unproductive stuff like gold or stamps,
tips, or advice from "financial planners". Nor does it involve
overseas shares....reading chicken entrails.....or giving away
my picks until after I have effected them.

The one mistake I made was to buy a non Buffett type stock
on the basis of short term return but it did the dirty on me even
in the short time I was in so I eventually ruthlessly cut my loss and
dumped it rather waiting for it to recover or more likely go belly up.
The worst threat is of falling in love with a stock so you're always looking
for a way of rationalising holding it ..... better to dump it and get stuck
into a stock with
more upside than a possible recovery to the probably doomed one.

It always amazes me how ShareChat and The Other Channel manage to go
off on so many wild goose chases....there seems to be absolutely no
 discussion on CEN for example....but heaps on gold, RBD, ....and if
you go further back...to things like Aquaria (now some footling organic
whatsit)...
which used to get more discussion on Sharechat than any other stock.

Now there was an interesting variation on the usual Black Tulip
bubble. Some clever person spotted that there were a number of famous
"names" on the register and regardless of the sort of bath names had taken
in Lloyds Insurance they all piled into Aquaria which brought in all
the momentum investors and chartists at 20+ cents a share regardless of
the net assets being less than 2 cps....
How I laughed....

But look, I've gotta go and see what's cooking on the History Channel or
Discovery or Nat Geo or UKTV, now that the scumbags have dumped CNBC..
Time was when you could get Bloomberg on one of the local channels in Canty,
sob....

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] Bill Gates et al J Insley