Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2003

Re: [sharechat] kyoto accord and WRI by macdunk

From: "Dave Missen" <d.tackle@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 22:38:27 +1200

Unfortunately MacDunk, this particular set of politicians are from a similar mould as the lot that won in 84, set Rogernomics loose amongst our primary industries, and had to come up with a whole heap of policies (such as the Mortgage Discount Scheme) to pick up the inevitable pieces.

I guess farmers should thank them really.  There are only half the sheep numbers we used to have so the farmers are only having to cough up half as much.

My guess is that it won't be long and we'll have to rely on technology (and other knowledge economy stuff they have dreamt up in the knowledge wave surfing competition) as farmers will give up raising livestock and plant the entire country in Pine Trees in order to pick up the credits - it took about 110 years to hit peak sheep numbers, and about 30 to eradicate them altogether (1984 - 2014) under a predominantly Labour regime.  Not only are they anti-business, they appear to be doing their best to become anti-traditional NZ primary industry.

Cap it off with their reluctance to take a stand regarding the latest claims for waterways and seabeds.

The tax only applies to ruminants, your grandkids horse should be exempt as it is a monogastric (despite being a hind gut fermenter and producing similar outputs).  QUESTION:  I see that goats and deer are included in the overall scheme - which Government Department will pay the tax attributable to all those feral goats and deer running around on conservation property?  Also, how come they aren't charging for elephants etc, surely Auckland Zoo will have to contribute their bit?

Pity that they haven't invented a similar politicians tax - all of them are full of hot air although I doubt that there is much methane in it otherwise they would have exploded the bikesheds at the Beehive while having a conspirational smoke with ol' Nandor.

Cheers

Dave