Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2003

Re: [sharechat] Building codes revised at last by macdunk

From: Robin Benson <rob@hammerheadmedia.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 01:05:30 +0100

Trying to define on paper the knowledge of working with materials such
as wood, built up over generations, is folly indeed, so they try to
regulate the material instead, so people can implement design and
construction as badly as they like, with little or no impact on
performance. That's "try".

The NZ climate varies so hugely, from hot and dry with low rainfall, to
humid and muggy in summer to freezing and wet in winter. So, some very
successful buildings can be constructed with quite simple materials,
but much thought needs to go into it. For example, use of clay and
straw, but properly prepared, constructed, and protected (by eaves).
Badly employed, these materials spell total disaster. Well used, they
produce some of the most long-lasting, efficient and pleasing results
possible.

One last thought: regulation is fraught with problems. There are
utterly ignorant or thoughtless people who need full-on regulating, and
others who are self-regulating from an informed position. Regulating is
a hard task, and for the most part, like trying to hit a moving target.
It's one thing to slag it off, but quite another to suggest a
better/more effective system that can deal efficiently and fairly with
the range of attitudes it needs to.

Robin