Re: [sharechat] Biotech Investment Strategies

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 03 May 2003 15:10:27 +1200

Well, no-one has taken up the challenge to provide any details on a
successful biotech investment strategy.

I'd really like to know if even the wise hands like Gerry have made any
money in their total experience of investing in Biotech.

Given the paucity of information to the contrary I would like to put
forward a theory.  Long term, it is impossible as an investor to make
money by investing in biotech.

The problem as I see it is that investing in biotech is really a zero sum
game.   There are no dividends paid and usually no earnings either.
Because there are tradings costs in buying and selling shares this
means that in the long run all investors will lose.   Biotech investors
buy into companies at extraordinarily high P/E ratios.  Effectively this
means you require your biotech company to produce a world beater
just for the investor to break even.   The fact that the Genesis
Research float was not underwritten should have set off a few warning
bells in the mindds of potential investors.  Enormous costs need to be
met just to bring a new drug to the market, and years of testing a
required to get an idea to become a commercial product.

Even Wrightson's possible coup of buying into Genesis Research at a
price less than the cash on hand within the Genesis company may not
look so smart in a couple of years time.    Without a commercially
viable product this investment will continue to burn cash, even though
this cash was bought cheaply.

Anyone care to refute my argument?    I think the best way to make
money out of biotech is to be a smart biochemist  that works for one of
these companies!

SNOOPY

--
Message sent by Snoopy