[sharechat] NZ Oil & Gas | reply to Narina

From: Marilyn Munroe <who.c@res.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 18:59:13 +1200

Mike Hudson a contributor to the mailing list once described NZ Oil & Gas
(NOG) as an employment scheme for the directors and management. I am more
open minded than Mike and acknowledge that while the above live a comfortable
life they may eventually return value to shareholders.

NOG is speculative investment engaged in the business of oil exploration. The
revenues from producing fields, mainly Ngatoro, are used to drill further
holes in the ground.

A proven field Kupe has been around for years. NOG holds 19% of this field.
Development has been held back by cheap plentiful Maui gas. With the run down
of Maui and and current electricity shortages combined with Genisis Power
major holding, it is likely that development of field will take place. This
may place a strain on NOG balance sheet as I would imagine off shore gas
fields are not cheap to commission.

The Tui offshore prospect was drilled earlier this year with interesting but
indeterminate results. More interpretation of the drill results by the
boffins seems to be required.

A level of healthy skepticism is required when interpreting NOG's public
announcements. Their tone suggests that all that is needed is for the hole to
drilled and oil revenues will flow straight into shareholders pockets. Alass
as we know from our life experience nothing is ever that easy. Oil
exploration is a hit and miss affair with a lot more misses than hits.

I jokingly refer to my NOG holding as my Lotto ticket. Who wouldn't love to
participate in the discovery of a major oil field and then move to Beverly
Hills, movie stars swimming pools & blonds driving sports cars.

So should you hold NOG? The answer depends on you appetite for speculation and
your assessment whether the management will drill holes in the right places.

Boop-boop-de-do Marilyn

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] The Warehouse Michael McGregor