Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2003

[sharechat] Investing in Steel - Mar 2003 Update

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 21:27:20 +0000

First, an apology for postponing the February update for 'investors
in steel' into March.  But  I think it was worthwhile waiting to
digest the interim results of Steel and Tube, Onesteel and BHP Steel
which were all posted by late February.

My second point is a subtle correction to my "Investing in Steel -
January 2003 Update" attached graph.  I graphed a monthly
average price of the hot rolled coil steel price in $US per tonne.
The shape of the graph is correct but the actual numbers quoted are
normalized to a base value of 100, based on the January 1997 sale
price.  This 'mistake' doesn't make any difference to my conclusions.
But I thought I had better point it out for completeness!

I have recently been back to the website:

www.steelonthenet.com

and furthermore perused the interim results of the three companies I
have mentioned (STU, OST and BSL).  Now I am in a position to give
what may prove a critical update!

I have reproduced updated and focussed in (looking only at the last
six months) on the share price graph of BSL (BHP Steel), OST
(Onesteel) verses the hot rolled coil price.   The hot rolled coil
price, a proxy for the raw material costs of the manufacturing arms
of BSL and OST,  is expected to remain strong all through 2003.
After that time, the dramatic increase in steel production from China
(up 33% since year 2000) coupled with slowing worldwide markets
should cause the worldwide hot rolled steel price to slump again.
This reinforces my view that now is a good time to think about
jumping out of the steel commodity business - while it is on a
cyclical high.  The practical observation today is that prices for
steel are indeed holding up well so far (see attached graph).

BHP Steel (BSL) are having a fantastic year with so much cash rolling
in they have announced a share buyback (10% of the shares on
issue) which will largely take place after mid July.  I don't like
the idea of buying into a commodity business at its peak.  So I'm not
with BSL management on this strategy.  But I guess the buyback will
give those of us who want 'out' an even bigger window of time in
which to act.  Meanwhile buyers of BSL are (myopicly?) eyeing up
that fantastic yield which is over 8% (based on a market price of
some $A3.20) if you are lucky enough to qualify for Australian
franking credits.  BSL goes ex dividend on March 18th but with
Canberra Day a national holiday (?) I suspect the last day of trading
'cum dividend' for BSL is this Friday.

The prospect of a trans tasman tax reform package which allows New
Zealand investors to access Australian franking credits, (provided
those Australian businesses have a New Zealand arm that pays tax
locally), is an intriguing thing for NZers contemplating owning
high yield Australian shares.  However, my judgement is that BSLs New
Zealand arm, New Zealand Steel, is unlikely to be profitable enough
over the whole business cycle to benefit from this new tax treatment.
 By contrast Onesteel (OST), with their highly profitable subsidiary
Steel and Tube, are in a box seat.

Last year I predicted an eps/dps figure of 13.1/9.8 cents per share
for Onesteel within three years.  According to the 2003 half year
report it looks like OST are going to make that target this year!   I
was predicting an OST share price of $1.96 based on these earnings,
yet over the last 6 months the OST share price has barely moved (last
Friday $1.75).   So why the anomaly?   I think the market is telling
us that they do not expect this years OST earnings to be sustainable
over the medium term.  Certainly we can't expect the residential
building boom to be sustained (+18.5% this half!) but my feeling is
that the big infrastructure projects, like the Alice to Darwin
railway line, will keep things cranking along until the IT inventory
control improvements kick in.  Even OST themselves are forecasting:

"major operational milestones to be delivered over 6 months"

from their IT expenditure

To give you some idea of how much room there might be for improvement
Steel & Tube (STU), where a similar IT revolution has been largely
completed, has a Sales to Inventories ratio of 6.9.   By contrast the
Sales to Inventories ratio of Onesteel's distribution business is
4.3.  Admittedly distribution is only half of Onesteel's business,
but this nevertheless represents a large potential improvement in
business efficiency.

Costs have increased, but all of these increases have been able to
be passed on to the end line customers.  On the manufacturing side
Whyalla has been performing perfectly.ahead of next years scheduled
shutdown and buoyant trading conditions for the Onesteel group means
that there will be no deterioration in the debt equity position of
Onesteel as a result of the refurbishment

If you keep in mind that the Onesteel share price is approximately
half that of BHP Steel, you will see from the attached graph that the
daily dollar value of shares traded is approximately the same in each
share.   Given that BHP Steel is the larger company, it is clear that
any high volume trading with shareholders repositioning themselves
after the listing of BSL, has stopped.

The share price drop over the last month of both BSL and OST, while
hot rolled steel prices remain high is, I believe, a reflection of
the decline of the overall market and not a reflection of any drop in
confidence for either OST or BSL.  Over the last six months BSL has
been the better performed share, as you would expect as a higher
proportion of its revenue comes from manufacturing of steel products.

If OST can maintain their level of earnings for the long term, and I
think it can, then investors buying in today will benefit from a
consequent increase in share price to around $1.96 plus the dividend
stream on the way.  If NZ investors end up getting their share of
franking credits, and I think they will, this means an annual
dividend of some 10c per share, which at a price of $1.75 (what you
would pay today) gives a pretax equivalent yield of some 8%
not withstanding any capital gain cream.  OST is not a screaming buy
at $1.75, but perhaps a worthwhile addition to an overseas share
portfolio nevertheless.

Meanwhile back at home, Steel and Tube maintains its trading
 price range of the last eight months between $3.05 and $3.25.  I was
impressed that the previously announced share buy back has not been
started yet!  Perhaps management will do the sensible thing and only
buy back when the share price comes under pressure after all.
Meanwhile the acquisition of the New Zealand arm of Hurricane Wire
seems a good fit.   STU continues to pay out all of its profits in
dividends so it is hard to get too excited about the growth potential
of this share.  Nevertheless it remains a good solid income share
that I like, but don't (directly) own.

SNOOPY

discl: hold BSL (and a very few OST)

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Sometimes to see the wood from the trees,
you have to cut down all the trees."

If you are using Pegasus Mail, or any another MIME-compliant system,